`1. Name a (different) restaurant at which each of these chef’s work
2. What is Emeril’s family name
3. Who designed the toque
4. Of whom did Wilhelm 2nd say “I am the Emperor of the Germans you are the Emperor of the Chefs”
5. Who introduced the style of eating to the French known as ‘Service a la Russe’
6. What is that?
7. Careme classified sauces into 4 groups. What were they
8. Escoffier added another what was it
9. What is a Bouchon
10. What does Nebbiolo mean
11. In what area, supposedly, are the best Nebbiolo grapes grown
12. Name 5 different sorts of French restaurant
13. True or false
Horse radish and Wasabi are really the same plant
Careme studied architecture in his spare time
Majoram, oregano basil and sage are part of the mint family
14. In cooking what does ‘macerate’ mean
15. What is/are
Rocky Mountain Oysters
16. Name 3 fruits commonly found in Egyptian burial chambers.
17. Where did the wild cacoa tree come from
18. Where does coffee come from originally
19. Bael leaves are used as a vegetable in Thailand and a seasoning in Indonesia What are they used for in India.
20. Which well known restaurant reviewer acknowledged that he did not know that Shandong was a province of China.
Lastly the famous question for a bonus of zero marks
21. How many holes in a crumpet
One mark for every correct answer or part there of. Maximum score 39
Highest scoring blogger wins a bottle of wine courtesy of
The author of which will be the sole arbiter however correspondence is welcome!!
Name and contact details
1. K-Pauls Louisianna Kitchen
Bayona, Herbsaint, Cobalt
5. Attributed to both Careme and Escoffier!
6. Eating one course at a time
7. Allemande = Hollandaise, Bechamel, Veloute Espagnole
9. A type of French restaurant
10. Little fog
14. To marinate usually fruit in alcohol or liqueur to soften and absorb taste
15. a) Poppy seed
b) a Mexican fruit
c) a fruit related to the avocado
d) a soup usually beetroot or cabbage based
e) a spice like garum masala
f) Fertilised duck or chicken eggs near maturity cooked live
g) Bulls testicles
16. Dates, Sycamore figs (not the usual ones) olives, pomegranates persea
19. Placed at the feet of the Goddess Shiva on a special festival
20. He who shall be nameless
21. Aw c’mon